The Kimberley Mine

Dublin Core

Title

The Kimberley Mine

Description

The Kimberley Mine as it appeared in 2010. The original open mine was 240 meters deep. The mine opened in 1871 and operations ceased in 1914.

The city of Kimberley can be seen in the background. The long green-roofed building was the headquarters of De Beers after a merger created De Beers Consolidated Mines in 1888.

A plaque at the entrance of walkway to the mine is one of the few reminders of the many lives that were lost over the decades of mining diamonds.

Creator

Sullivan, Micalee

Publisher

Sullivan, Micalee

Date

March 2010

Rights

Educational Use Only

Files

Collection

Citation

Sullivan, Micalee, “The Kimberley Mine,” Sixteen Tons, accessed August 22, 2017, http://sixteentons.matrix.msu.edu/items/show/97.